International applications

International applications

If you are an international student, you will need to apply for a Student visa from the UK Government to study with us.  We have outlined some information below to help explain the process.

Student route

The Student route is a points-based visa system for all international students (including EU, EEA, and Swiss students) who want to study in the UK. If you are applying to the Student route you will need to demonstrate that you meet the required 70 points.

To achieve the required points, you need to show that:

  • You have been offered a place on a course and have received a Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) – 50 Points
  • You can speak, read, write and understand English – 10 Points
  • You have enough money to support yourself and pay for any outstanding course fees – 10 Points

Obtaining your CAS

We will issue you with a Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies once you have been offered a place to study at IBCM and accepted that offer. We advise that you apply to study with us first and have your offer confirmed before you make a visa application.

You can view all our courses here.

On each course’s page, entry requirements are given in British qualification levels; you can view international equivalent qualifications here.

As part of your application, you will be required to complete an Extended Personal Statement and potentially a pre-CAS credibility interview.

English language requirement

When you make your Student visa application, you must prove your knowledge of the English language unless you are exempt, find out more here.(web link)

International finance requirement

You will need to prove that you have £1,023 per month ( 9 months) available to cover your living costs whilst studying in Manchester in order for your Student visa application to be successful. You can read more about the finance requirement here (link)

Supporting documents

You will need the following documents to apply for your visa:

  • Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS)
  • Current and valid passport/travel document
  • Your original transcripts and certificates
  • Evidence of finances
  • Proof of English language proficiency
  • Tuberculosis certificate* (if you are living in a country that is listed on the UKVI website)

* You may be exempt under specific conditions outlined by the UKVI.

If the entire or any part of the documents you provide are not in English, you must also have them officially translated by a certified translator and submit the official translations with the rest of your documents.

Depending on your individual circumstance, you may be required to provide more documents. More information about the supporting documents required for your visa application can be found here.

Student visa application costs

A Student visa application costs £363 for a standard service (which takes approximately 15 working days) if applied for from outside the UK. However, you can opt to have a faster service for the following costs:

an additional £250 for the priority service which takes up to 5 working days for a decision to be made; or

an additional £956 for the super priority service which takes 1 business day for a decision to be made.

You can check if these additional services are available in your country by visiting the UKVI website.

In addition, you will also need to pay £470 per year for the Immigration Health Surcharge as part of your visa application. This gives you access to the UK’s National Health Service (NHS) on generally the same basis as a UK permanent resident. More information can be found here.

Applying for a Student visa extension

We can help you if you need to apply for an extension to your existing Student visa in order to finish your course. You must apply for a visa extension before your current visa expires. You can start the process and submit your application within 3 months of its expiry date.

For more information about applying for a visa to the Student route, please click here.

Working during your studies

The main purpose of a Student visa under the Student route is that you come to the UK for study, however, as we are a Student sponsor with a Track Record of Compliance our students are permitted to work up to 20 hours per week during term time and full time during official vacation periods.


IBCM provides assistance for international students to arrange their accommodation. For more information , click here. (link)

More information

For more information about sponsored students and our compliance procedures, please read our International Sponsored Student Guide and International Student Policy and Compliance Procedures documents which can be found here.

Have any questions?

Please don’t hesitate to speak to us! We’re here to help you and answer any questions or worries you may have. Email us on or call us on +44(0)161 228 3607.